Costard Broken in A Shin: How one-way anagram works in Shakespeare.

This is a difficult riddle. It demonstrates how one-way anagram works in Shakespeare.

01  [Enter Page and Clown.]

02  MOTH.
    A wonder Master, here's a Costard broken in a shin.

03  ARMADO.
    Some enigma, some riddle, come, thy Lenvoy begin.

04  COSTARD.
    No egma, no riddle, no lenvoy, no salve, in the male sir.
    Or sir, Plantain, a plain Plantain:
    no lenvoy, no lenvoy, no Salve, sir, but a Plantain.

05  ARMADO.
    By virtue, thou enforce'st laughter, thy silly thought, my spleen,
    the heaving of my lungs provokes me to ridiculous smiling.
    O pardon me my stars, does the inconsiderate take salve for lenvoy,
    and the word lenvoy for a salve?

06  MOTH.
    Do the wise think them other, is not lenvoy a salve?

07  ARMADO.
    No Page, it is an epilogue or discourse to make plain,
    some obscure precedence that has tofore been sain.
    Now will I begin your moral, and do you follow with my lenvoy.
    The Fox, the Ape, and the Humble-Bee, were still at odds, being but three.
    Until the Goose came out of door, staying the odds by adding four.

08  MOTH.
    A good Lenvoy ending in the Goose: would you desire more?

09  COSTARD.
    The Boy has sold him a bargain, a Goose, that's flat,
    Sir, your penny-worth is good, and your Goose be fat.
    To sell a bargain well is as cunning as fast and loose:
    Let me see a fat Lenvoy, Ay, that's a fat Goose.

10  ARMADO.
    Come hither, come hither. How did this argument begin?

11  MOTH.
    By saying that a Costard was broken in a shin.
    Then called you for the Lenvoy.

12  COSTARD.
    True, and I for a Plantain: thus came your argument in:
    then the Boy's fat Lenvoy, the Goose that you bought,
    and he ended the market.

13  ARMADO.
    But tell me. How was there a Costard broken in a shin?

14  MOTH.
    I will tell you sensibly.

15  COSTARD.
    Thou hast no feeling of it, Moth, I will speak that Lenvoy.
    I Costard running out, that was safely within,
    fell over the threshold, and broke my shin.

16  ARMADO.
    We will talk no more of this matter.

17  COSTARD.
    Till there be more matter in the shin.

18  ARMADO.
    Sirrah Costard, I will enfranchise thee.

19  COSTARD.
    O, marry me to one Francis,
    I smell some Lenvoy, some Goose in this.

20  ARMADO.
    By my sweet soul, I mean, setting thee at liberty.
    Enfreedoming thy person:
    thou wert immured, restrained, captivated, bound.

21  COSTARD.
    True, true, and now you will be my purgation, and let me loose.

22  ARMADO.
    I give thee thy liberty, set thee from durance,
    and in lieu thereof, impose on thee nothing but this:
    Bear this significant to the country Maid Jaquenetta:
    there is remuneration,
    for the best ward of mine honors is rewarding my dependants.
    Moth, follow.

23  MOTH.
    Like the sequel I. Signeur Costard adieu. [Exit.]

COMMENTS:

[3] egma is within enigma; or egma is a one-way anagram of enigma.
[4] plain is within Plantain. Plantain is "a low herb with broad flat leaves spread out close to the ground (OED 1a)." "Plain plantain" indidates the flat leaves of that plant.
[9] "fast, flat, fat" differ only in one letter ("loose, goose" too).
[19] Francis is within enfranchise.
  
The above suggest some letters can be removed from a word to form a new word. It's the principle of one-way anagram. When this applies to lenvoy and salve:

  [4] Lenvoy without L is envoy; lenvoy equals to envoy in meaning.
  [4] Salve without L is save; salve is an obsolete form of save (OED).

"Lenvoy" and "salve" are used to solve "Costard broken in a shin."
"Shin" without h is sin; "broken in a shin" is a sin.
to break shins (slang): to borrow money (OED): 1606...The Russians haue an excellent custome: they beate them on the shinnes, that haue mony, and will not pay their debts.
The "Lenvoy' saves Costard's sin, is the purpose of this riddle. It raises the question of Costard's identity (and the Goose, Fox, Ape, and Humble-Bee).

No comments:

Post a Comment